Open Source SysAdmin Resources
- Apache Ant – Automation build tool, similar to make, written in Java.
- Apache Maven – Build automation tool mainly for Java.
- Bazel – Google’s build system.
- GNU Make – The most popular automation build tool for many purposes.
- Gradle – Another build automation system.
- Amanda – Client-server model backup tool.
- Attic – A deduplicating backup program written in Python.
- Bareos – A fork of Bacula backup tool.
- Backupninja – Lightweight, extensible meta-backup system.
- Brebis – A fully automated backup checker
- Burp – Network backup and restore program.
- Duplicity – Encrypted bandwidth-efficient backup using the rsync algorithm.
- Elkarbackup – Backup solution based on RSnapshot with a simple web interface
- Lsyncd – File Monitor which spawns a process to synchronize the changes (rsync by default).
- Obnam – An easy, secure, snapshots-based backup program with data de-duplication.
- Rdiff-backup – An easy A remote incremental backup of all your files.
- Rsnapshot – Filesystem Snapshotting Utility.
- Snebu – Snapshot backup with global multi-client deduplication and transparent compression.
- UrBackup – Another client-server backup system.
- DREBS – AWS EBS backup script that supports strategies.
ZBackup – A versatile deduplicating backup tool.
Build and software organization tools
Build and software organization tools.
- EasyBuild – EasyBuild builds software and modulefiles for High Performance Computing (HPC) systems in an efficient way.
- environment-modules Lmod – Lmod is a Lua based module system that easily handles the MODULEPATH Hierarchical problem.
- HPCBIOS – HPCBIOS is an effort to setup a common, well-documented and reproducible, environment spanning across multiple HPC systems & sites, inclusive of documentation.
Conversation-driven development and management. See https://www.reddit.com/r/chatops for more information.
- CloudBot – The simple, fast, expandable Python IRC bot.
- Eggdrop – the world’s most popular IRC bot, designed for flexibility and ease of use, and is freely distributable under the GNU GPL.
- Err – a plugin based chatbot designed to be easily deployable, extensible and maintainable.
- Hubot – A customizable, life embetterment robot.
- Lazlo – A chatops automation framework in Go.
- Lita – A robot companion for your company’s chat room.
Managing software on desktop computers.
- OCS Inventory NG – Inventory, deployment and network scan.
- Opsi (open PC server integration) – Client Management for Windows based on Debian.
- WAPT – Network-wide (un)installation, configuration and upgrades of Windows based software.
- WPKG – Software deployment, upgrade and removal program for Windows.
- Clonezilla – Partition and disk imaging/cloning program.
- Fog – Another computer cloning solution.
- AppScale – Cloud software with Google App Engine compatibility.
- Archipel – Manage and supervise virtual machines using Libvirt.
- CloudStack – Cloud computing software for creating, managing, and deploying infrastructure cloud services.
- Cobbler – Cobbler is a Linux installation server that allows for rapid setup of network installation environments.
- Cracow Cloud One – Polish Private Cloud – The CC1 system provides a complete solution for Private Cloud Computing.
- Eucalyptus – Private cloud software with AWS compatibility.
- Flynn – PaaS
- Mesos – Develop and run resource-efficient distributed systems.
- OpenNebula – User-driven cloud management platform for sysadmins and devops.
- Openshift – PaaS product from Red Hat.
- OpenStack – Build private and public clouds.
- The Foreman – Complete lifecycle management tool for physical and virtual servers. FOSS.
- Tsuru – Tsuru is an extensible Platform as a Service software.
- BOSH – IaaS orchestration platform originally written for deploying and managing Cloud Foundry PaaS, but also useful for general purpose distributed systems.
- Cloudify – TOSCA-based cloud orchestration software platform written in Python and YAML.
- CloudSlang – Flow-based orchestration tool for managing deployed applications, with Docker capabilities.
- Juju – Cloud orchestration tool which manages services as charms, YAML configuration and deployment script bundles.
- MCollective – Ruby framework to manage server orchestration, developed by Puppet labs.
- Overcast – Deploy VMs across different cloud providers, and run commands and scripts across any or all of them in parallel via SSH.
- Rundeck – Simple orchestration tool.
- Salt – Fast, scalable and flexible systems management software written in Python/ZeroMQ.
- StackStorm – Event Driven Operations and ChatOps platform for infrastructure management. Written in Python
- git-annex assistant – A synchronised folder on each of your OSX and Linux computers, Android devices, removable drives, NAS appliances, and cloud services.
- ownCloud – Provides universal access to your files via the web, your computer or your mobile devices.
- Pydio – Pydio (formerly AjaXplorer) is a mature solution for file sharing and synchronization.
- Seafile – Another Cloud Storage solution.
- SparkleShare – Provides cloud storage and file synchronization services. By default, it uses Git as a storage backend.
- Swift – A highly available, distributed, eventually consistent object/blob store.
- Syncthing – System for private, encrypted and authenticated distribution of data.
Web Based collaborative code review system.
- Gerrit – Based on the Git version control, it facilitates software developers to review modifications to the source code and approve or reject those changes.
- Phabricator – Code review tool build by facebook and used by WikiMedia, FB, dropbox etc. Comes with an integrated wiki, bug tracker, VC integration and a CLI tool called arcanist.
- Review Board – Available as free software under the MIT License.
Collaborative software or groupware suites.
- Citadel/UX – Collaboration suite (messaging and groupware) that is descended from the Citadel family of programs.
- EGroupware – Groupware software written in PHP.
- Horde Groupware – PHP based collaborative software suite that includes email, calendars, wikis, time tracking and file management.
- Kolab – Another groupware suite.
- SOGo – Collaborative software server with a focus on simplicity and scalability.
- Zimbra – Collaborative software suite, that includes an email server and web client.
Configuration Management Database
Configuration management database (CMDB) software.
- i-doit – IT Documentation and CMDB.
- iTop – Complete ITIL web based service management tool.
- Ralph – Asset management, DCIM and CMDB system for large Data Centers as well as smaller LAN networks.
- Clusto – Helps you keep track of your inventory, where it is, how it’s connected, and provides an abstracted interface for interacting with the elements of the infrastructure.
- Collins – At Tumblr, it’s the infrastructure source of truth and knowledge.
Configuration management tools.
- Ansible – It’s written in Python and manages the nodes over SSH.
- CFEngine – Lightweight agent system. Configuration state is specified via a declarative language.
- Chef – It’s written in Ruby and Erlang and uses a pure-Ruby DSL.
- Pallet – Infrastructure definition, configuration and management via a Clojure DSL.
- Puppet – It’s written in Ruby and uses Puppet’s declarative language or a Ruby DSL.
- Salt – It’s written in Python.
- Slaughter – It’s written in Perl.
Continuous Integration & Continuous Deployment
Continuous integration/deployment software.
- Buildbot – Python-based toolkit for continuous integration.
- Drone – Continuous integration server built on Docker and configured using YAML files.
- GitLab CI – Based off of ruby. They also provide GitLab, which manages git repositories.
- Go – Continuous delivery server.
- Jenkins – An extendable continuous integration server.
Web hosting and server or service control panels
- Web hosting
- Atomia DNS – DNS management system.
- PDNS Gui – WebGUI which aids in administering domains and records for PowerDNS with MySQL.
- Poweradmin – Friendly web-based DNS administration tool for PowerDNS server.
- iF.SVNAdmin – WebGUI to manage Subversion repositories and User/Group permissions.
- SCM-Manager – The easiest way to share and manage your Git, Mercurial and Subversion repositories.
- WebSVN – Opensource web subversion repository browser.
- Feathur – VPS Provisioning and Management Software.
- Panamax – Project that makes deploying complex containerized apps as easy as Drag-and-Drop.
- OpenVZ Web Panel – Web panel to control your OpenVZ servers.
- Virtkick – A simple orchestrator. Manage virtual machines or Docker containers easily.
- WebVirtMgr – libvirt-based Web interface for managing virtual machines.
- Ajenti – Control panel for Linux and BSD.
- Cockpit – New multi-server web interface for Linux servers written in C.
- Virtualmin – Control panel for Linux based on webmin.
- Webmin – Linux server control panel.
Tools and scripts to support deployments to your servers.
- Capistrano – Deploy your application to any number of machines simultaneously, in sequence or as a rolling set via SSH (rake based).
- Fabric – Python library and cli tool for streamlining the use of SSH for application deployment or systems administration tasks.
- Mina – Really fast deployer and server automation tool (rake based).
- Rocketeer – PHP task runner and deployment tool.
- Vlad the Deployer – Deployment automation (rake based).
Network distributed filesystems.
- Ceph – Distributed object store and file system.
- DRBD – Distributed Replicated Block Device.
- LeoFS – Unstructured object/data storage and a highly available, distributed, eventually consistent storage system.
- GlusterFS – Scale-out network-attached storage file system.
- HDFS – Distributed, scalable, and portable file-system written in Java for the Hadoop framework.
- Lustre – Parallel distributed file system, generally used for large-scale cluster computing.
- MooseFS – Fault tolerant, network distributed file system.
- MogileFS – Application level, network distributed file system.
- OpenAFS – Distributed network file system with read-only replicas and multi-OS support.
- TahoeLAFS – secure, decentralized, fault-tolerant, peer-to-peer distributed data store and distributed file system.
- XtreemFS – XtreemFS is a fault-tolerant distributed file system for all storage needs.
- Bind – The most widely used name server software.
- djbdns – A collection of DNS applications, including tinydns.
- Designate – DNS REST API that support several DNS servers as its backend.
- dnsmasq – A lightweight service providing DNS, DHCP and TFTP services to small-scale networks.
- Knot – High performance authoritative-only DNS server.
- NSD – Authoritative only, high performance, simple name server.
- PowerDNS – DNS server with a variety of data storage back-ends and load balancing features.
- Unbound – Validating, recursive, and caching DNS resolver.
- Yadifa – Lightweight authoritative Name Server with DNSSEC capabilities powering the .eu top-level domain.
Open source code editors.
- Atom – A hackable text editor from Github.
- Brackets – Code editor for web designers and front-end developers.
- Eclipse – IDE written in Java with an extensible plug-in system.
- Geany – GTK2 text editor.
- GNU Emacs – An extensible, customizable text editor-and more.
- Haroopad – Markdown editor with live preview.
- ICEcoder – Code editor awesomeness, built with common web languages.
- jotgit – Git-backed real-time collaborative code editing.
- KDevelop – IDE by the people behind KDE.
- Light Table – The next generation code editor.
- Lime – Aims to provide an open source solution to Sublime Text
- TextMate – A graphical text editor for OS X.
- Vim – A highly configurable text editor built to enable efficient editing.
LDAP servers and other tools to manage accounts and identities.
- 389 Directory Server – Developed by Red Hat.
- Apache Directory Server – Apache Software Foundation project written in Java.
- OpenDJ – Fork of OpenDS.
- OpenDS – Another directory server written in Java.
- OpenLDAP – Developed by the OpenLDAP Project.
Tools and web interfaces
- Fusion Directory – Improve the Management of the services and the company directory based on OpenLDAP.
- FreeIPA – Security management solution, can manage LDAP, KRB, DNS, sudo, and more
- LDAP Account Manager (LAM) – Web frontend for managing entries (e.g. users, groups, DHCP settings) stored in an LDAP directory.
- Samba – Active Directory and CIFS protocol implementation.
IT Asset Management
IT Assets Management software.
- GLPI – Information Resource-Manager with an additional Administration Interface.
- OCS Inventory NG – Enables users to inventory their IT assets.
- RackTables – Datacenter and server room asset management like document hardware assets, network addresses, space in racks, networks configuration.
- Ralph – Asset management, DCIM and CMDB system for large Data Centers as well as smaller LAN networks.
- Snipe IT – Asset & license management software.
Log management tools: collect, parse, visualize …
- Elasticsearch – A Lucene Based Document store mainly used for log indexing, storage and analysis.
- Fluentd – Log Collector and Shipper.
- Flume – Distributed log collection and aggregation system.
- Graylog2 – Pluggable Log and Event Analysis Server with Alerting options.
- Heka – Stream processing system which may be used for log aggregation.
- Kibana – Visualize logs and time-stamped data.
- Logstash – Tool for managing events and logs.
- Octopussy – Log Management Solution (Visualize / Alert / Report).
- Claws Mail – Old school email client (and news reader), based on GTK+.
- Mutt – Small but very powerful text-based mail client.
- Thunderbird – Free email application that’s easy to set up and customize.
- Roundcube – Browser-based IMAP client with an application-like user interface.
- SquirrelMail – Another browser-based IMAP client.
- Horde – Webmail and groupware client
- Rainloop – Very nice webmail with IMAP/SMTP Support and multi accounting
Software for setting up mail servers.
Mail Delivery Agents (IMAP/POP3 software).
- Courier IMAP/POP3 – Fast, scalable, enterprise IMAP and POP3 server.
- Cyrus IMAP/POP3 – Intended to be run on sealed servers, where normal users are not permitted to log in.
- Dovecot – IMAP and POP3 server written primarily with security in mind.
Mail Transfer Agents (SMTP servers).
- Exim – Message transfer agent (MTA) developed at the University of Cambridge.
- MailCatcher – Ruby gem that deploys a simply SMTP MTA gateway that accepts all mail and displays in web interface. Useful for debugging or development.
- Maildrop – Disposable email SMTP server, also useful for development.
- OpenSMTPD – Secure SMTP server implementation from the OpenBSD project.
- Postfix – Fast, easy to administer, and secure Sendmail replacement.
- Qmail – Secure Sendmail replacement.
- Sendmail – Message transfer agent (MTA).
Software for simple deployment of a mail server, e.g. for inexperienced or impatient admins.
- hMailServer – Open source e-mail server for Microsoft Windows
- Mail-in-a-Box – Take back control of your email with this easy-to-deploy mail server in a box.
- iRedMail – Full-featured mail server solution based on Postfix and Dovecot.
- Citadel – Feature packed, easy, versatile, and powerful mail server, thanks to exclusive “rooms” based architecture.
- Modoboa – Modoboa is a mail hosting and management platform including a modern and simplified Web User Interface.
- Fufix – Fufix is a mailserver installer based on Dovecot, Postfix, Postfixadmin, Nginx, PHP, MySQL and Fail2ban.
- Alerta – Distributed, scaleable and flexible monitoring system.
- Cacti – Web-based network monitoring and graphing tool.
- Cabot – Monitoring and alerts, similar to PagerDuty.
- check_mk – Collection of extensions for Nagios.
- Dash – A low-overhead monitoring web dashboard for a GNU/Linux machine.
- Flapjack – Monitoring notification routing & event processing system.
- Icinga – Fork of Nagios.
- LibreNMS – Fully featured network monitoring system that provides a wealth of features and device support.
- Monit – Small utility for managing and monitoring Unix systems.
- Munin – Networked resource monitoring tool.
- Naemon – Network monitoring tool based on the Nagios 4 core with performance enhancements and new features.
- Nagios – Computer system, network and infrastructure monitoring software application.
- Node-Bell – Real-time anomalies detection for periodic time series, metrics monitor.
- Observium – SNMP monitoring for servers and networking devices. Runs on linux.
- OMD – The Open Monitoring Distribution.
- PhpSysInfo – A customizable PHP script that displays information about your system nicely
- Riemann – Flexible and fast events processor allowing complex events/metrics analysis.
- Sensu – Monitoring framework.
- Sentry – Application monitoring, event logging and aggregation.
- ServerStatus BotoX – Display and monitor your servers statistics in a beatiful way.
- ServerStatus moejda – Server Status website script, displays uptime (days), free RAM, free HDD
- Shinken – Another monitoring framework.
- Thruk – Multibackend monitoring web interface with support for Naemon, Nagios, Icinga and Shinken.
- Xymon – Network monitoring inspired by Big Brother.
- Zabbix – Enterprise-class software for monitoring of networks and applications.
- Zenoss – Application, server, and network management platform based on Zope.
Metric & Metric Collection
Metric gathering and display software.
- Collectd – System statistic collection daemon.
- Collectl – High precision system performance metrics collecting tool.
- Dashing – Ruby gem that allows for rapid statistical dashboard development. An all HTML5 approach allows for big screen displays in data centers or conference rooms.
- Diamond – Python based statistic collection daemon.
- Facette – Time series data visualization and graphing software written in Go.
- Freeboard – A damn-sexy front-end real-time dashboard. Transforms raw JSON into delicious UI.
- Ganglia – High performance, scalable RRD based monitoring for grids and/or clusters of servers. Compatible with Graphite using a single collection process.
- Grafana – A Graphite & InfluxDB Dashboard and Graph Editor.
- Graphite – Scalable graphing server.
- InfluxDB – Distributed time series database with no external dependencies.
- KairosDB – Fast distributed scalable time series database, fork of OpenTSDB 1.x.
- OpenTSDB – Store and server massive amounts of time series data without losing granularity.
- Packetbeat – Captures network traffic and displays it in a custom Kibana dashboard for easy viewing.
- Prometheus – Service monitoring system and time series database.
- RRDtool – Industry standard, high performance data logging and graphing system for time series data.
- Statsd – Application statistic listener.
Network Configuration Management
Network configuration management tools.
- GestióIP – An automated web based IPv4/IPv6 IP Address Management tool.
- Oxidized – A modern take on network device configuration monitoring with web interface and GIT storage.
- RANCID – Monitors network device’s configuration and maintain history of changes.
- rConfig – Another network device configuration management tool.
- trigger – Robust network automation toolkit written in Python.
- DadaMail – Mailing List Manager, written in Perl.
- phpList – Newsletter manager written in PHP.
- LibreMailer – Libre Mailer is a modest and simple web based email marketing application.
- Lewsnetter – E-mail marketing application (create and send e-mail newsletter via SES). Includes subscription management, delivery, bounce and complaint notification, templates, and some stats.
- Apache HBase – Hadoop database, a distributed, big data store.
- Cassandra – Distributed DBMS designed to handle large amounts of data across many servers.
- Hypertable – C++ based BigTable-like DBMS, communicates through Thrift and runs either as stand-alone or on distributed FS such as Hadoop.
- CouchDB – Ease of use, with multi-master replication document-oriented database system.
- ElasticSearch – Java based database, popular with log aggregation, and email archiving projects.
- MongoDB – Another document-oriented database system.
- RavenDB – Document based database with ACID/Transactional features.
- RethinkDB – Distributed document store database, focuses on JSON.
- fpm – Versatile multi format package creator.
- omnibus-ruby – Full stack, cross distro packaging software (Ruby).
- packman – Full stack, cross distro packaging software (Python).
- tito – Builds RPMs for git-based projects.
Web-based project management and bug tracking systems.
- CaseBox – Manage all your organisation’s information in one system.
- ChiliProject – Fork of Redmine.
- GitBucket Clone of GitHub written in Scala; single jar install.
- GitLab – Clone of GitHub written in Ruby.
- Gogs – Self-hosted Git service written in Go.
- OpenProject – Project collaboration.
- Phabricator Written in PHP.
- Redmine – Written in ruby on rails.
- Taiga – Agile Project Management Tool based on the Kanban and Scrum methods.
- The Bug Genie – Written in PHP.
- Trac – Written in python.
- ActiveMQ – Java message broker.
- BeanstalkD – A simple, fast work queue.
- Gearman – Fast multi-language queuing/job processing platform.
- Kafka – Extremely high performance publish/subscribe message system.
- NSQ – A realtime distributed messaging platform.
- RabbitMQ – Robust, fully featured, cross distro queuing system.
- ZeroMQ – Lightweight queuing system.
- Firebird – True universal database.
- Galera – Galera Cluster for MySQL is an easy-to-use high-availability solution with high system up-time, no data loss, and scalability for future growth.
- MariaDB – Community-developed fork of the MySQL.
- Percona Server – Enhanced, drop-in MySQL replacement.
- PostgreSQL – Object-relational database management system (ORDBMS).
- PostgreSQL-XL – Scalable PostgreSQL-based database cluster.
- SQLite – Library that implements a self-contained, serverless, zero-configuration, transactional SQL DBS.
- Blackbox – Safely store secrets in Git/Mercurial. Provides tooling to automatically encrypt secrets like passwords.
- Bro – Bro is a powerful framework for network analysis and security monitoring.
- Denyhosts – Thwart SSH dictionary based attacks and brute force attacks.
- Fail2Ban – Scans log files and takes action on IPs that show malicious behavior.
- fwknop – Protects ports via Single Packet Authorization in your firewall.
- Glastopf – A low-interaction web application honeypot to emulate vulnerabilities and gather attack data.
- Kippo – A medium-interaction SSH honeypot, mostly used as a standalone SSH daemon with a configurable Filesystem sandbox.
- Linux Malware Detect – A malware scanner for Linux designed around the threats faced in shared hosted environments.
- OSSEC – OSSEC is a HIDS that performs log analysis, FIM, rootkit detection, and much more.
- OSQuery – Query your servers status and info using a SQL like interface.
- pfSense – Firewall and Router FreeBSD distribution.
- Snort – Network intrusion prevention system (NIPS) and network intrusion detection system (NIDS).
- SpamAssassin – A powerful and popular email spam filter employing a variety of detection technique.
- Consul – Consul is a tool for service discovery, monitoring and configuration.
- Doozerd – Doozer is a highly-available, completely consistent store for small amounts of extremely important data.
- etcd – distributed K/V-Store, authenticating via SSL PKI and a REST HTTP Api for shared configuration and service discovery.
- ZooKeeper – ZooKeeper is a centralized service for maintaining configuration information, naming, providing distributed synchronization, and providing group services.
Operating system–level virtualization.
- Docker – Platform for developers and sysadmins to build, ship, and run distributed applications.
- LXC – Userspace interface for the Linux kernel containment features.
- OpenVZ – Container-based virtualization for Linux.
- Advanced SSH config – Enhances ssh_config file capabilities, completely transparent.
- autossh – Automatically respawn ssh session after network interruption.
- Cluster SSH – Controls a number of xterm windows via a single graphical console.
- DSH – Dancer’s shell / distributed shell – Wrapper for executing multiple remote shell commands from one command line.
- Mosh – The mobile shell.
- parallel-ssh – Provides parallel versions of OpenSSH and related tools.
- ssh-cert-authority – A democratic SSH certificate authority.
- ssh-ca – Allows giving ssh access to servers without putting a users key on the server, as well as expiring access.
- SSH Power Tool – Execute commands and upload files to many servers simultaneously without using pre-shared keys.
- sshrc – sources ~/.sshrc on your local computer after logging in remotely.
- stormssh – A command line tool to manage SSH connections.
- AWStats – Generates web, streaming, ftp or mail server statistics graphically.
- GoAccess – Real-time web log analyzer and interactive viewer that runs in a terminal.
- Open Web Analytics – Add web analytics to websites using JS, PHP or REST APIs.
- Piwik – Web analytics application.
- Webalizer – Fast web server log file analysis.
- Cachet – Status page system written in PHP.
- Stashboard – Status page for cloud services and APIs.
- System Status Dashboard (SSD) – Overview about an organization’s infrastructure health status.
- Staytus – Staytus is a complete solution for publishing the latest information about any issues with your web applications, networks or services.
Web-based ticketing system.
- Bugzilla – General-purpose bugtracker and testing tool originally developed and used by the Mozilla project.
- Cerb – Group-based e-mail management project.
- Flyspray – Web-based bug tracking system written in PHP.
- MantisBT – Web-based bug tracking system.
- osTicket – Simple support ticket system.
- OTRS – Trouble ticket system for assigning tickets to incoming queries and tracking further communications.
- Request Tracker – Ticket-tracking system written in Perl.
- TheBugGenie – Ticket system with extensive user rights system.
- grml – bootable Debian Live CD with powerful CLI tools.
- mitmproxy – A Python tool used for intercepting, viewing and modifying network traffic. Invaluable in troubleshooting certain problems.
- Sysdig – Capture system state and activity from a running Linux instance, then save, filter and analyze.
- Wireshark – The world’s foremost network protocol analyzer.
Software versioning and revision control.
- Fossil – Distributed version control with built-in wiki and bug tracking.
- Git – Distributed revision control and source code management (SCM) with an emphasis on speed.
- GNU Bazaar – Distributed revision control system sponsored by Canonical.
- Mercurial – Another distributed revision control.
- Subversion – Client-server revision control system.
- Archipel – XMPP based virtualization management platform.
- ConVirt – Provides the core functionality for centrally managing your KVM or Xen virtualized environment.
- Ganeti – Cluster virtual server management software tool built on top of KVM and Xen.
- KVM – Linux kernel virtualization infrastructure.
- OpenNebula – Flexible enterprise cloud made simple.
- oVirt – Manages virtual machines, storage and virtual networks.
- Packer – A tool for creating identical machine images for multiple platforms from a single source configuration.
- Proxmox VE – Virtualization management solution.
- QEMU – QEMU is a generic machine emulator and virtualizer.
- Vagrant – Tool for building complete development environments.
- VirtualBox – Virtualization product from Oracle Corporation.
- Xen – Virtual machine monitor for 32/64 bit Intel / AMD (IA 64) and PowerPC 970 architectures.
- OpenVPN – Uses a custom security protocol that utilizes SSL/TLS for key exchange.
- Pritunl – OpenVPN based solution. Easy to set up.
- SoftEther – Multi-protocol software VPN with advanced features
- sshuttle – Poor man’s VPN.
- strongSwan – Complete IPsec implementation for Linux.
- tinc – Distributed p2p VPN.
- ejabberd – XMPP instant messaging server written in Erlang/OTP.
- Metronome IM – Fork of Prosody IM.
- MongooseIM – Fork of ejabberd.
- Openfire – Real time collaboration (RTC) server.
- Prosody IM – XMPP server written in Lua.
- Tigase – XMPP server implementation in Java.
XMPP Web Clients
- Kaiwa – Web based chat client in the style of common paid alternatives.
- Lets-Chat – A self hosted chat suite written in Node.
- Apache – Most popular web server.
- Cherokee – Lightweight, high-performance web server/reverse proxy.
- Lighttpd – Web server more optimized for speed-critical environments.
- Nginx – Reverse proxy, load balancer, HTTP cache, and web server.
- uWSGI – The uWSGI project aims at developing a full stack for building hosting services.
- HAProxy – Software based load Balancing, SSL offloading and performance optimization, compression, and general web routing.
- Varnish – HTTP based web application accelerator focusing on optimizing caching and compression.
- DokuWiki – Simple to use and highly versatile wiki that doesn’t require a database.
- Gollum – A simple, Git-powered wiki with a sweet API and local frontend.
- ikiwiki – A wiki compiler.
- Mediawiki – Used to power Wikipedia.
- MoinMoin – An advanced, easy to use and extensible WikiEngine with a large community of users.
- Ōlelo Wiki – A wiki that stores pages in a Git repository.
- PmWiki – Wiki-based system for collaborative creation and maintenance of websites.